Saturday, April 2, 2011

Life in the Greenhouse

Before I get started - Jason and I have been married for SIX MONTHS today!

Indy and I spent the day in the greenhouse again today, and we (or I really) were super productive. We got the music going to keep me dancing and singing through my day, and we had less interruptions. While I welcome the company and like having people come by, there's a lot to do in there right now, and I'm trying to get everything figured out.

With everything I had to do (from the list I made yesterday), I was busy all day. Thanks to the NCAA Final Four, we even wrapped up about an hour early today.

Another day full of seedlings and planting. I prepped three of the nine raised beds inside of the greenhouse and planted one of them. It's an herb bed and the cilantro, parsley and basil were already going. Tomorrow I'll prep and plant a lettuce bed and another herb bed.

Here's the bed I planted today. You can barely see the last row on the left. From Left to Right you have Arugula, Basil, Chives, Parsley and Cilantro (new seeds), Parsley and two rows of Cilantro.

As far as starting seeds, I set about 240 more flowers to growing today. It's not very exciting yet, but I'll be able to show you as they start to germinate. You can see the trays below. There are 4 under the black plastic - 2 trays of Verbena (which has been persnickity so far this year, maybe I'll have better luck) and 2 trays of Lobelia. Both are cranky, slow-to-germinate seeds, so the black plastic encourages them along.

Seedling trays. Very exciting, I know.

There are lots of other little things I do in there all day - hanging flower baskets, checking and watering (which takes me about an hour at the beginning of the day and 1/2 hour at the end), plus cleaning and organizing... With all of that to do, today flew!

I had bags of potting soil delivered to me at the end of the work day today (I was out), so I'll be doing a LOT of transplanting of some root bound seedlings that really need to get moved tomorrow.

Indy had a great day today, too! He spotted a mouse in the greenhouse, and while he hasn't caught it yet, he spent the whole day hunting it. He's sound asleep at my feet right now. And before you get crazy on me about murdering a mouse... I think they're cute, too, and I certainly don't like killing ANYTHING. But let's get real. We're growing FOOD in the greenhouse. Mouse + Food = Bad News. So either way, the mouse has to go. At least Indy's getting some entertainment about it.

Chef #1, Anthony, left today and Chef #2 (who I'm told is named Mark - I haven't met him yet) arrived this afternoon and will be cooking for us tonight and tomorrow. Anthony wowed me some more with amazing meals that I could eat. Mark has some serious GF cooking to do to raise himself up to Anthony's level in my estimation.

In other news, Jason is going on a road trip with Mitch for a week, starting Wednesday. I'm pretty bummed but I'll deal. Also, because of the chef and since we've only been working two days, Jason and I are going to work tomorrow (Sunday) on our day off in exchange for a comp day that we can use later and have a WEEKEND off. :)

Hope you had a great Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Happy 1/2 year anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I think mice are cute too but YUCK. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of all your pretty flowers :)

    I hope Mark is as good as Anthony was.

    Sorry about Jason being gone for a week, that's tough as a newlywed but he'll be back before you know it!