Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Animal Crackers

...in my soup! (Actually that reminds me of a story that I need to write on here one of these days! It's a good one!)

But really, today was all about the animals. (And for the record, I'm still slow today, but not low. I'm definitely blaming the weather and hormones!)

Yesterday one of the cows had a calf. It's up on the north pasture, and I haven't seen it yet, but Chad says it's gangly and precious. :)

Two of the horses are expecting! We should have two new foals here at the ranch in the next two months!

Then, I got to go and observe the horseshoe-ing that was happening. No - not the game of horseshoes. It was the day for the horses to get re-shoed. In all the time I spent riding while growing up, I'd never seen a horse get shoed, so I took a break from the greenhouse today and spent some time at the barn watching and chatting. The good news? The horses are now re-shoed which means it's finally.... RIDING TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The mouse from hell is living in the greenhouse. Indy can't catch it, and every night it eats something new. I've had to replant the peas 3 times now. And it ate the tops off a whole row of leeks. It ate half of a row of baby micro greens. It ate the peanut butter off of two mousetraps without getting itself killed. And if I don't get rid of it soon, I'm sure it'll take interest in the beets, carrots, radishes or tomatoes. It's time for the mouse to die.

J.W., the ranch manager, is a rodeo cowboy. Tomorrow he's going to pick up a couple of steer (and hopefully a goat!) to keep here near the rodeo arena. (Did you know that we have a rodeo arena?) That way he can practice his roping. (The goat is not for roping, don't worry. The goat is to keep the horses from eating bark off of trees. For some reason, it's supposed to help. I just think billy goats are funny, so I'm excited.)

And Indy got a bath over the weekend. After two days in the greenhouse, he's dirty again, but not stinky. You can't win 'em all.

2 comments:

  1. Now that song is in my head....Yay for riding time and baby animals :)I can't believe there's a rodeo arena there. What don't they have???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solange, the only thing we don't have is cell phone service. The only service that works up here is Alltell, and they just got bought by ATT. So if we had switched to ATT instead of Verizon we'd have service! Otherwise, they pretty much have everything. Did I mention there's a movie theatre building?

    ReplyDelete