Friday, April 8, 2011

Lessons Learned... so far.


The photo from yesterday morning is on the left. The photo from THIS morning is on the right. Just for comparison. And it's still snowing! 36 hours straight, now!


Today marked one week of work here on the ranch and in the greenhouse.

Here's what I've learned during my first week on the ranch!

* Those who work in glass houses, should wear sunscreen. Unless it's dumping snow.

* Patience is a virtue, especially when you're working with seedlings. Just like a watched pot never boils, watched seeds don't germinate. Just check their water levels and leave them alone. They're working on their own timeline!

* Don't walk on the rough wood floors in the bunkhouse without at least thick socks on.

* Snowboots are a necessity in Wyoming, even in April. Too bad mine are in California. My hiking boots are doing a good job, though!

* Being off the grid (i.e. without cell phone service) is a really good thing. It's amazing what you can see when you're not constantly glued to a cell phone!

* If you're not 100% positive that something is gluten free, ASK!

* People in Wyoming move at a much slower pace than Californians.

* Cooking dinner for one person is no longer fun now that I'm married. I can't wait for Jason to come back!

* Skype rocks.

* My husband flops around like a fish on a line while he sleeps. Even though I'm sleeping soundly without him, I'd rather be tired than lonely.

Happy Friday! And an interesting fact I just found out - this area is one of the top ice climbing areas in the United States. Apparently, Hawkeye is the place where people come for help when there's an accident climbing ice. (And no - that didn't happen today. Chad just walked in the kitchen and told me that story, so I thought I'd share.)

And for some totally unrelated food for thought, I read Donald Miller's blog this morning and was really struck by it! It's a short read. Let me know what you think!


Buddy hiding from the snow outside of the laundry/storage building.



The first bloom from a seedling started on the ranch opened up!



I trudged up to the mailbox after lunch as I do everyday. Here's the main road!

1 comment:

  1. To my beautiful wife : one year ago today I asked you to marry me. My life has changed in so many ways. You have brightened up my life with love and joy. You are an amazing woman and I feel like the luckiest man in the world. I love you honey bunny.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete