Sunday, August 12, 2012

Facing Forward


We're getting so close to the end of our time here in Wyoming. It's crazy to say that, but it's so true. We're officially done and on our way on October 1 this year. That's 7 weeks from tomorrow. And judging by how fast this summer has been flying by, I'll blink and it will be time to go. Strange.

Because the time is coming, Jason and I have been looking forward, thinking about what's next and trying to plan. I know... best laid plans and all, but here's what we think is up next for us:

We're going to book it from here to Orlando to spend a little bit of time with Jason's parents before they make the big move to China. More on that in a moment.

I turn 30 on October 16 - that's right, the big 3-0. Still trying to wrap my head around it, but confident that my thirties will be amazing. To celebrate my birthday in style, Jason and I are taking a twelve day Mediterranean Cruise that leaves from Barcelona on October 13 (one of my favorite cities), hits France, Italy, Greece and Turkey before heading back to Italy where it ends in Venice. Kind of a European sampler platter, and a great way to visit a lot of cities for a low cost. Because we're managing costs by cruise ship, we can afford to tack on a couple of days in Barcelona at the beginning and a couple more in Paris at the end. I'm super excited and already working on getting my Gluten Free resources together in several different languages. I can communicate my needs in English and Spanish, (and one Italian phrase - io sono celiaco) but that's about it.

Okay... back to China. Because Jason's parents are moving to China with Disney for a few years, we're moving into the family home in Florida. Incidentally, we're looking for jobs as well - so if you have any photography or performing arts connections in Orlando, please send them my way.

The adventure is by no means over - we're committing to getting out of Orlando one weekend a month and doing something - booking a cheap trip to an island in the Caribbean, hopping up to Atlanta, going to the Keys. Something.

And I think we're both really looking forward to not living out of suitcases anymore. For the past year and a half I've been calling us turtles - hauling our homes around with us on our backs. It will be nice to know that we don't have to pack everything up again in two months to drive across the country.

But will we miss Wyoming? Certainly. Will me miss this kind of freedom and simple lifestyle? Heck, yes. And will we always be grateful for this time together, out in wilds of Wyoming, just us and the dog? Absolutely. We wouldn't trade it for anything.

We certainly haven't checked out of our time here - we're living each day and enjoying as much as we can. But the time has come to start to face forward, and that's what we're doing.

Getting ready for the next adventure.

Because that's what it is - a great adventure.

2 comments:

  1. It's so exciting. The best part about adventures is that you don't really know what's going to happen. I'm so jealous about your cruise but also equally happy that you two get to have all this fun time together. Especially to celebrate the big 3-0. I'm sad that I won't be there to help celebrate it like I was there for your 21st :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - life is certainly exciting for you both! Good to know you are surviving the busy ranch schedule and it sounds like you have many adventures ahead. Love to you guys! Can't wait to hear about where you land next!

    ReplyDelete