Tuesday, December 3, 2013

November is for Giving Thanks/Recap of Week 1

The blog has been quiet again - not because nothing is going on here, but because I am trying to be more intentional about the downtime that I do have.

I think maybe my lesson for year 31 is going to be to stop and smell the roses. I've been on a freight train to something ever since I was a teenager. There is always something I am driving towards, some end goal in sight. Having goals and drive is a good thing, but not when it eclipses everything else. So maybe my 31st year is about Balance - finding contentment in the everyday, and continuing to work forward into my goals for tomorrow and next year. To not let myself get so wrapped up in "the work" that I forget to come up for air, or to look around and see all the good that is present.

I spent some time at home with my sister a few weeks back, meeting my beautiful new niece. Here's the thing about Kelli - when we stood in line for qualities, she stood in the contentment line twice and I visited the drive line an extra time. I have always been envious of how my sister is always content where she is at. She is absolutely present in every moment, and you always get 100% of her attention when you are with her. I've always been "fire lit under the ass" driven, which breeds a lot of discontent. Not that I don't have moments of contentment and that Kelli doesn't have any drive, but she got the lions share of one, and I the other. I am trying to stand in the contentment line at 31.

As part of that, I have made a serious effort to do the "month of Thanksgiving" on my Instagram/Facebook accounts, and wanted to share the list (so far) with you here.

For a girl like me, who is rarely content where she is at, it's important to remember the best things in life. The moments, the people, the experiences that you are grateful for can help bring you peace, and keep you grounded in the present moment as opposed to the unknown that is to come.

So, primarily for my own reference, here is the first week of my list of things I am thankful for this year. It is not all encompassing, and primarily based on the circumstances of each individual day.

Day 1 - I am so thankful my niece was born healthy and that my sister came through the birth like a shining star. Though Penelope Belle has only been here for eight days, I cannot imagine a world without her in it.



Day 2 - Thankful for time with my best friend of umpteen years. Solangey is a better friend than I deserve, and spending quality time with her is like gold. I love you, Solangey! Here's to many more years of margaritas and girl talk!


Day 3 - Thankful for my parents. I am so blessed to have such incredible parents and so happy for them in this next stage of life!



Day 4 - Found this gem today. So - today, I am thankful to have been raised with three cousins who are like brothers to me. Love you, Brian, Mark and Kevin. I am so proud of the men you have become!



Day 5 - Thankful to be home safe with my wonderful husband! (After returning safely from my visit to LA)

Day 6 - Thankful for a wonderful job and a phenomenal boss, doing something I really enjoy every day and maintaining the flexibility to audition regularly and with short notice! If you have ever been a working actor, you know how important that is!!!

Day 7 - Thankful for this little guy. Indiana Jones is so smart, so funny and loyal to a fault. Life is better with an awesome dog in it - no matter how tough the day, he can make me smile.









No comments:

Post a Comment